Monday, August 3, 2009

An Easy Granola Recipe Made Conveniently in the Crockpot



Sierra and I are happy to announce that we have our own website now. Thanks to all the support and encouragement from the community. The new site will allow us to have much more flexibility with our content. I hope you will join us at our new website www.cookwithsierra.com (Please feel free to follow this link to our new site)

Put 5 cups Regular rolled oats into the Crockpot. I doubt this recipe would turn out using quick oats.
1T flax seeds I used golden flax. Most of these ingredients can be found at your local Whole foods stores. You can pay for what you need there and not buy extra.
Add ¼ cup Slivered almonds to the Crockpot. It just would not be a good Granola recipe without almonds.
Add ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds to your slow cooker.
Add ¼ cup raw no shell sunflower seeds.
Add ¼ cup coconut I chose to use sweetened but you could go the unsweetened route if you want to cut down on the sugar.

Add ¼ cup dried cranberries.
Add ¼ cup raisins to your Crockpot.
Melt ¼ cup (½ stick of butter) in a small bowl in the microwave.
Pour ¼ cup honey into your measuring cup. Orange blossom honey in my opinion is the best tasting honey. I would avoid clover honey if possible.
Pour the honey into the warm melted butter.
Stir the butter and honey together so it will be easier to mix with the oats.
Stir the Granola mixture together.
Add the butter and honey mixture to the Granola.
Mix Granola well the Granola should be well coated with the butter and honey.
Put the lid on the Granola prop the lid open with a chopstick or something similar. (I used a thermometer to hold it open.
Cook the Granola on high. Sierra stirred the Granola every half an hour for about 1.5 – 2 hrs. Once the Granola started changing color she began to stir the Granola every 15 min you can smell the Granola cooking when it is in the dangerous stage don’t let it burn. It should be done when the almonds and oats start turning a light brown color. If you let it get too dark it will taste bitter.
It does not get any better than this. I had been avoiding making Granola because it was so difficult - until I can across this recipe! Sierra and I can’t wait to get going on the next batch.
You can find the recipe at: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/11/crockpot-granola-recipe.html (This link opens in a new window)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this! I love Sierra's Minnie Mouse outfit---so cute.
    xoxo steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie we really had fun with this recipe. In fact it was the first time Sierra had tried Granola. My mom used to make granola for us in the oven so when I found the nice Crockpot recipe I was pretty eager to try it. Turned out great. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Granola in the Crockpot! I'm going to try this. Thanks for the link to Stepanie's crockpot cooking site. I Love you.- Grammy

    ReplyDelete